Sunday, June 15, 2008

Eureka!

As I have spent the last month preparing to present with Janmarie at the Charter School Conference, I have thought a lot about improving the clarity and validity of some of my assignments. I have had some great ideas.
  1. For my interview project at the beginning of the year, I have decided to tie it in more completely with the storytelling/oral tradition feel of the unit by having the students write and perform it as an introduction with an anecdote rather than as a newspaper article. We will see how it goes.
  2. I loved my American Transcendentalism mini-unit last year, but Walt felt like he was a tag-a-long to the party. I have decided to add him to the free writes by opening with the question, "What does it mean to be an American?" Then after we read "I Hear America Singing" and whatever else I am in the mood for, I will have the students freewrite a page on the prompt:
    Considering all that we have read and talked about transcendentalism, why do you think that it is such a uniquely American phenomenon?

No comments: